Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Halloween costumes

I spent last week being a slave to my sewing machine finishing my Halloween costumes. 

I deconstructed a Fangtasia t-shirt to turn myself into a "Fangbanger," from HBO's True Blood.


Front:
Back:
End Result:


This costume did not originate from TB, I was not dressing up as an actual character.  Fangbangers are characters on the show.  Fangtasia is the vampire bar they hang out at.  I came up with my own idea of what the costume should look like.

I bought the wig at Savers for cheap money.  The choker & arm fishnet things came from Hot Topic.  The t-shirt came from Newbury Comics.  Everything else I had from previous halloween costumes...jean skirt, red fishnets, black thigh high fishnets & huge platform boots.

I cut the t-shirt in half, so the back & front were separated.  I added side panels that I made from black cotton fabric w/ a red lace over it.  I then added a skinny piece of fabric on each side of the panels & attached eyelets to them.  I sewed the panels to the shirt to make the panels, front & back all one shirt.  I laced up the eyelets on the sides with skinny ribbon to give the sides a corset look.


My second costume I made was Captain Spaulding from Rob Zombies House of 1000 Corpses & Devils Rejects.
This costume used to be available in Halloween stores, but it is now discontinued.  
 
I was able to find one on ebay with the mask included.  Since I didn't need the mask & they were unable to sell me just the costume, I had to get creative.  I really didn't want to have to make this costume myself, so I found something else he wore in the movie that I could work with.
Yes this is a picture of an action figure.  haha.  I can not find any good/clear stills from the movie where he is in this clothing, but the action figure shows it perfectly!
Originally I was going to go all out & wear the bald cap & look just like him.  I'm REALLY glad I decided to do a girl version instead. lol
Starting from the top:

I found a small patriotic hat, very similar to this one, at iparty.  PERFECT!  I sewed/glued on a couple hair clips underneath it to keep it clipped in my hair, then secured the 2 sides with a bobby pin.  I used generic halloween face makeup that I got at the halloween store.  White, Black & Blue. 

(creepy)

I was able to find the t-shirt on ebay.

I found the fabric for the bottom at Jo-Anns Fabric. (<3 that place)

I made a skirt out of it instead of pants since I was doing a girl version.  I sewed the body of the skirt & then added a ruffle bottom.  I already had white fishnets left over from my halloween costume last year (Alex from A Clockwork Orange).  I got some cheapy plastic clown shoes at the halloween store & just had to paint the black part white.

My finished product:

I finished both of these last minute, hours before I needed them.  Ugh.  Talk about down to the wire.
I am SO happy that I don't have anymore sewing/costume making to do Saturday before the halloween party!  :)